Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Haunted Halloween

                

                    Happy Haunted Halloween 


                                                                                          All Photos by Anne Neborak


 As the pandemic continues, Halloween takes on quite a different tone. Running through haunted houses as goblins breathe on you is not happening this year.  So I am keeping the Halloween alive by walking through cemeteries and looking for spirits. Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill is one of my favorites. 

 As a child I would go with my Nana to visit her mother who was buried there with her sister.  We walked up the hill to get water from the pump and then water the geraniums she planted. Prayers and memories were spoken in quiet whispers. Today this is where my Nana rests.   


 

I find the cemetery fascinating because I feel there are so many untold stories rustling in the sound of the leaves.  The faces carved in the old trees seem to speakof these men, women, and children who lived and now rest here.


                                                                                                                                                                                So many memorial stones tell stories that tantalize the imagination, the items left like a Dunkin Donut coffee cup or solar lights to keep the dark at bey. 

It makes you wonder who that person was. What did they do? What was it like to live a hundred years ago? Husbands and wives in love together through eternity. A child whose life was cut short. A soldier who died too young. 

Gifts left at their gravesites show how much they are loved and not forgotten.  

An unmarked stone beautifully carved peaked my curiosity. Who was this dedicated to?  What spirit roams waiting to be named?  

This Halloween I am not running from goblins, I am chasing spirits.




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking for light in Daylight Savings       I  don't like daylight savings. I  want light streaming through my windows. I want to walk o...